Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Helping Others to Have Eyes to See

I like what Eugene Peterson has to say about the pastoral role. The pastor is a sinner amongst sinners in a community looking to live life in the way of Jesus in this world. The pastor in this community is no greater than others within this community, but the pastor does have a unique role. Peterson talks about pastors having the responsibility of walking alongside with others in order to help them attend to God in the midst of life. This attending happens through engagement with Scripture, participation in prayer, and also through spiritual direction (see Peterson's book, Working the Angles, where he expands on this).

For me a key aspect of this pastoral role of walking with people in order to help them attend to God is helping others to have eyes to see. If you think of it, Jesus' ministry on earth was not his own. In John's Gospel on numerous occasions we see Jesus stating that his ministry is not his own, but that of his Father -- I do what I see my Father doing, or I say what I hear my Father saying (see: John 5:19, 7:16-17 etc.) Jesus had eyes to see what his Father was doing and ears to hear what his Father was saying and his ministry was one of participation in God's activity, God's mission (missio Dei). Jesus also expressed in the telling of parables, "Whoever has ears, let them hear" (Matthew 13:9).

What better ministry could there be but to help people have ears to hear what God is saying in the midst of everyday life and to see what God is doing in the world, in their community, in their family, in themselves. And then it is in this hearing and seeing, that pastors encourage those they are walking alongside with in order to have the courage to participate in what God is doing and to speak what they hear God speaking.

I remember when I was a new Christian and I was giving the responsibility of leading bible study in my youth group, I would often hear some message or exposition of Scripture by a Christian teacher I respected and I respoke what I had heard them express. Likewise for us, what joy do we encounter in ministry when we help the communities we have been called to serve, not only for them to hear God and see God's actions, but to speak into the lives of others what they are hearing and participating with God in bringing about human and creation wholeness through reconciliation with God the Father through Jesus Christ.

As pastors we are called not for people to see our visions and agendas, but to help people, guide people develop a greater sensitivity to hear God and clearer eyesight to see the activity of God, and to encourage them to live their lives in participation with God in God's mission. In this way the people we are called to serve become and are salt and light in the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Lynch said...

I resonate with so much of what you write here. But what does the "stricter judgment" of James 3:1 teach us about roles of primary influence in the church? Certainly, as you said, "the pastor is no greater than others within this community" ... but is the pastor's only distinction that he/she has "a unique role"? Paul uses the Gk word "prois'taymee" in Rom 12 for the leadership gift... a word that literally means (as I understand it) "to set or place before or over, to preside over, to rule, to look to". I wonder how much we should allow postmodernity & personal concerns change the biblical shape of that gift & calling? I look at the leaders of both Old & New Testaments, & I see a lot both walking with & walking before, of working with & presiding over. Sure, our fathers emphasized the "presiding over" & missed the "working / walking with". Still, I wonder if we're not reversing the values, but committing the same error... grabbing one & rejecting the other?

11:37 AM  
Blogger Heather Kuhl said...

I read this the other day, Dad, I really think that these are some great thoughts. I read the last paragraph to Meg and she was taken a back and thought it was great thinking. She also said she would want a pastor like that. Love you Dad.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home